The title of this blog post may be a little misleading. But I'm starting a new semi-regular feature on my blog about things I do that make my day-to-day life better. Or more fun. Or just what I do day-to-day that's become such a routine I don't really think about it.
Which brings me to the first post in this series: my makeup routine. I'm going to start off by saying that until I got my new job, I didn't wear makeup daily. Maybe a couple of times a week. Or month. I'm not going to say which. But I couldn't figure out how to make a daily makeup routine stick; I love makeup a lot, but felt like applying a face full of makeup every day? Took up a lot of time.
In reality, though, what was taking a lot of time was learning how to apply a lot of what I have in my makeup bag. I also needed to figure out just how much makeup I was comfortable wearing on a day-to-day basis. I don't think it's necessary to wear makeup daily, but I like it, so I committed to spending the month of December trying to wear it daily. I mean, I have adult acne and it's a pain. In. The. Butt. So foundation and concealar? Are often some of my best friends.
Now, I have a pretty good makeup routine down. It's pretty basic, but I can jazz it up when I feel it's warranted. Or I can KISS it: keep it simple, self! I mean, the routine is SO routine, that since December 1st, I've only gone one single day without makeup. And that was New Year's Day. Which I spent in sweatpants and I don't think I actually did my hair that morning, either, so it was a day for laziness.
But what, exactly, does my makeup routine involve? Or rather, what are my everyday makeup products? Well, I have just a few, but those few go a long way for me.
Basically, I like to keep it simple, which is why I have just a few items pictured above. My daily look involves foundation and finishing powder, eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, and tinted brow gel. And it all goes a long way toward making me feel put-together, even on days when I want to stay in the confines of my very warm bed (hey, it's been in the minus temperatures here overnight!). There are two liners above, which I'll explain as I get into my list below!
Starting from the top:
- L'Oreal Lineur Intense liquid eyeliner in carbon black. I love it because it makes such a clear, clean line, and it's easy to use, to boot. Eyeliner is one of many ways I fake being awake on days I am tired to the bone, and it really does enhance my eyes in a way that leaves me feeling fresh-faced and ready to start the day.
- Benefit Gimme Brow tinted brow gel. Okay, guys? This stuff is just so AWESOME. It has some fibers in it that cling to your brows to add oomph, and the tint enhances the color and evens everything out. This gel takes my brows from wimpy and a bit sparse to on-my-face amazing and I love it. It's also exceptionally easy to use and build up, which means I spend a little less time worrying about mistakes on my face. A bonus!
- Buxom Lash Waterproof mascara in blackest black. Lately this has been my go-to, though I'm still loving my They're Real mascara, too! The Buxom lash mascara adds length to my lashes and opens up my eyes in a way that not many mascaras I've tried have been able to. It's easy to use and the funky wavy-shaped brush ensures every. Single. Lash. Gets coated in mascara. The best part? This mascara doesn't flake or rub off, and lasts right up until I take it all off with my eye makeup remover before bed.
- Maybelline Lash Tattoo 24-hour eyeshadow in Inked in Pink. Okay, so have you noticed that basically everyone is rocking some form of pink shadow this year? Yeah. On the days I rock eyeshadow, I do this pink with the black liner and it makes me look so awake! The pink enhances my brown eyes really well, and it's subtle enough to be there without being overwhelmingly PINK. The shimmer adds a little touch of brightness to my eyes, which I love, and the fact that this is a 24-hour creme shadow? EPIC. It totally stays put until I'm ready for it to come off.
- Kajal Extreme Eyeliner in Rose Gold. So, sometimes, I just don't feel like wearing eyeshadow, but I still want the effects of an eye-opening pink on my lids. Enter this eyeliner, which I got in my Birchbox in December. It's shimmery and adds a hint of pink to my eyes, without overwhelming them. The liner itself is easy to use, and for being the first every non-brown or non-black liner I've owned? I love it.
- Bare Minerals Foundation and Mineral Veil. Even if I put nothing else on my face for the day, I will not leave without putting on my foundation and topping it off with the mineral veil. This stuff is just spectacular and I love it. It leaves my skin looking like my skin, only better. I can build it up to add as much coverage as I want or need (good-bye visible breakouts!), and it's lightweight and easy to apply. I swear, without this foundation? I would probably be a little lost. With it, I just really like how my skin looks throughout the day.
So there you have it: my day-to-day makeup musts. This list is totally how I ended up at the gym Friday night with a face full of makeup on while on an elliptical. And really? I went from work to the gym, so my makeup wasn't even on my mind. It's also how I've managed to go over a month with daily makeup application and loving every minute of it. Now I'm just looking for more eyeshadows to boost my collection, and trying out layering my mascaras to see just how much va-va-voom I can get going for my lashes.
I never really thought makeup could be this fun, but now I do. And I love it. A lot.