I hope you all are having a lovely New Year’s Eve! I’m getting ready for our party, and thought I would share with you one of my goals for the coming month, so without further ado, here goes!
My eating habits and activity levels have been all over the place this past month. I know a lot of it is due to the holidays, but as we approach the end of the year, I have realized that I need to get back on track. I've been enjoying multiple cookies, cakes, sweets, and other treats each day, and while I know it's a special time of year, I also know that I'm starting to feel the effects of too much sugar and not enough healthy snacks. Taking some inspiration from Caitlin, I am going to make the coming month a back-on-track month for my eating and exercise habits. What is my back-on-track month going to entail?
- More fruits and veggies. Somehow, I've been slacking off on my fruit and vegetable intake, and have noticed lately that I have been craving vegetables. My goal during my back-on-track month is to get at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, sneaking them in where I can, and seeing what fun combinations I can come up with.
- Less processed food and more whole ones. I've been doing a lot of munching from the vending machine and going after more processed foods than I normally would. I want to break away from the vending machine and come up with new and creative snacks. The same goes at meal times. While I'll still eat some processed foods, my goal is for the majority of my food to be whole and real.
- Drink more water! This is one that I'm a little bad at - I don't drink nearly enough water during the day, and I notice it, especially when I'm mid or post-workout. I want to aim for at least 5 cups of water a day in addition to my normal coffees and teas. I want to be properly hydrated to be my best.
- Don't snack mindlessly. Normally, I snack if I am hungry and know that my next meal is a while away, but recently, I've been snacking whenever. Sometimes it's because I'm thirsty (see my goal above), sometimes it's out of boredom, but I've noticed a lot more mindless snacking going on, which leaves me not-so-hungry when it comes time for meals. I want to enjoy my food and not mindlessly munch, so I plan to ask myself before snacking if I'm really hungry, and to try drinking some water if I'm not sure - really paying attention to my hunger cues. I plan to use a plate for most things I sit down to eat, because I can always get more if I need to, and a plate will help me keep my meal and snack portions in control by letting me see just how much I'm eating.
- Get moving. It's easy with the holidays to slack off on working out, and I often forget that my workouts keep me energetic, help me stay aware of my actual hunger and thirst, and are fun! I want to work on getting moving daily, whether it's with a yoga podcast, a long walk at lunch time, a trip to the gym to lift, or a half hour on the treadmill - I need to get my body moving!
I know it seems like a short list, but it's a lot of little changes instead of big ones, and will allow me to ease back into my normal habits after the holidays, and let me get back on track with my healthy living habits. I feel my best when I'm eating mostly real food and less processed food, and when my daily diet includes lots of fruits, veggies, and activity. While this isn't really a resolution for me, it is a step that I am taking to get on track and stay on track for a healthy life.
What are some of your goals for January?